The Adelaide Cricket Club was formed on the 12th of September 1905 for the prime purpose of providing the residents of the City of Adelaide the opportunity to play and enjoy the game of cricket.
For many years the club used a number of city hotels as a meeting place for members to gather, and played its games on the playing fields around the City of Adelaide. Eventually Adelaide Number Two Oval became the club's home ground.
Famous Names Involved In The Club
Many great names of Australian and South Australian cricket have played with the Adelaide Cricket Club, - Badcock, Causby, Cullen, Cunningham, Gillespie, Grimmett, Giffen, Hogg, Hammond, Johnson, Nobes, Sincock, Travers and Woodcock to name but a few. To date the Adelaide Cricket Club has had more state representatives than any other grade Club.
International Test Cricketers including Chauhan, Greenidge, Mendis and White have also played for the Adelaide Cricket Club during their careers.
Our Coat Of Arms
During the 1930's the Council of the City of Adelaide awarded the Adelaide Cricket Club the unique honour of allowing the Coat of Arms of the City of Adelaide to be adopted by the club as our Coat of Arms. The club wears this Crest with great pride and distinction and is fiercely proud of this honour.
In 1951 the then Mayor of the City of Adelaide agreed to become the club’s Patron, that Patronage has remained with us ever since and has now become a tradition and to day the current Lord mayor is our Patron.
Changes through the 90's
In 1990, two established Women's cricket clubs - Olympic and Mercury - merged together and joined the Adelaide Cricket Club, with three women's teams becoming an integral part of our club community. Cricketers of the quality of Lee-Anne Hunter and Karen Rolton graced the teams but, unfortunately, by the mid 90's there was a decline and sadly this resulted in the disbandment of our teams during pre-season 1995/96.
In 1993, the Adelaide Cricket Club responded to a request for assistance from the State Department of Aboriginal Affairs, and sponsored and helped form an all Aboriginal Under 13 cricket team to compete within the Ray Sutton Shield Competition. The joint venture continued successfully until the end of 1996.
The Buffalos Today
Our nickname THE ADELAIDE BUFFALOS came about during the centenary of Grade Cricket (previously known as District Cricket) in 1997/98.The name is derived from the well-known "Buffalo" ship, which landed on our shoreline containing the first cricket kit used in Adelaide. We are a very proud club, steeped in history spanning more than 110 years.
Today, the club fields six senior mens sides and seven junior boys teams within the South Australian Cricket Association competitions.